Thursday, September 17, 2009

Like Pulling Teeth

This week I have been following up with all the hospitals in Connecticut, a total of 29 hospitals, I have received the statistics I requested from one, and the other hospital that actually replied to me said those type of statistics aren't available to the public. Which in turn really makes me think about the issue and run around pregnant women would and are getting when they try to obtain statistics and information about hospitals that they may potentially be delivering at.
I fully believe that hospitals should be required to disclose this information when asked. While they are required by law to report them to the state, not all people know what office to contact to obtain this information.
Many people give up when the hospital meets them with closed doors, and they do not know about something called the "Freedom of Information Act" meaning, you contact and put in a request for the information you are looking for, and they provide you with the information.

But all in all, these hospitals seem to think that consumers, and women in general are stupid.
I am looking forward to meeting with the ones who haven't gotten back to us, or told us that information isn't available to the public, especially when I do stroll in with their statistics.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't those stats covered by the Freedom of Information act?

    I'm interested to know, since I'm due to have a baby in March and am planning to give birth at Yale.

    ReplyDelete